Thursday, April 28, 2011

Post 3: Computers for 1st Graders

I started my fieldwork at Davis Magnet Elementary School last week and it started with a surprise. I'm sure much of it has to do with the fact that it is a magnet school but there were 4 computers available to students in a 1st grade classroom. On my first day, I arrived several minutes before school started and I saw one of the students playing Lego games on the internet while he was waiting for class to start. On my second fieldwork day, I was able to observe as the 1st graders went to the computer lab for math-related activities. The program they were using allowed students to work at their own pace and gradually got more difficult as they progressed through the program. Honestly, some of the higher level activities were a bit difficult, even for me. I didn't catch the name of the program, but I liked how the program allowed students to practice different math/science concepts in a variety of methods, ensuring their understanding. I will be returning to the school for one last day tomorrow and I hope to get a better understanding of how the math/science programs accompany the usual classroom teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment